Do this when you’re overworked
Are you an overworked Small Business Owner? Are you a little crispy around the edges or burnt? When was the last time you took 2 days off in a row and not thought (at all) about your business? Guess what? It’s been over 3 months for me. What about you?
As a Master Business Coach, I see Small Business Owners (SBOs) either overworking and exhausting themselves or creating too much hype about this because they aren’t working on, or in, their business. This is a real and ongoing challenge for most SBOs.
NOTE: Make sure you read the Caution Section – there’s gold there to impact your business performance!
Before we go into what we should be doing, let’s discuss how this overworked and exhausted creeps into our business and impacts our lives too!
Some indicators of being overworked:
- You want to do anything except what you should be doing.
- You find ways to distract yourself.
- You find yourself saying, “When I ____, I’ll _____”.
- You are impatient or frustrated.
- You start working longer hours.
- You find your mind is always “on” about business.
- You get upset easily.
- You say, or think, “5 more minutes”.
- You aren’t sleeping enough and/or well.
- You push back doing your workouts.
- You eat unhealthy food.
- You’re working too many “off hours”.
- Your tolerance level drops.
- Your producing less than your capability.
- You aren’t producing enough (capacity).
- Your relationships feel like they’ve become too demanding.
Are some of these too familiar? If so, you may already be overworked, exhausted, and/or burnout. I get it, I’ve been there multiple times throughout my career. Over the years, I shared with you about how I was a Class A Workaholic while at corporate and have fought the battle to release that within my own business – old habits die hard!
Try this instead to better manage your overworked self:
- Set a timer for your work and honor your time-outs.
- Limit your hours of work – you’ll be more productive in less time.
- Take routine time-outs or pauses throughout the day.
- Practice slower and deeper breathing.
- Listen to upbeat music.
- Dance with your creative muse.
- Get your work-outs in… even if you do it in bite sizes throughout the day.
- Give your brain 20 minutes of pure silence.
- Eat healthier food.
- Drink more water.
- Don’t make promises to family – you don’t want to break their trust.
- Declutter your workspace.
- Go outside and ponder something from nature – even clouds.
- Blocked off times on your schedule for your work.
- Create cushion between appointments.
- Be more practical with what you can achieve.
- Outsource or delegate what others may do.
- Say “no” to new invitations.
- Create a practical daily list of tasks.
- Pardon yourself for not accomplishing everything in one day.
- Take a vacation.
We SBOs, are clever and try to outsmart ourselves. This isn’t healthy. If we’re working our business, “One more” is our motto. We play this mind game to accomplish more. This is precisely how we become unbalanced. If we continue to behave this way, we become workaholics. Yes, I do speak from experience. I’ve written about this before.
This overworked and exhausted is real. It silently creeps up. Then, when we least expect it, it bites us. We let out a yelp or even lash out.
We are left paralyzed. Our spark is diminished or gone. We have difficulty doing the great work we are called to accomplish. If we can make it that far, we drag our bodies to bed. We are alienating those we love. All of this while we are working harder or having melt-downs.
And it doesn’t matter if this is for our own business or another’s business. We are doing it to ourselves!
If someone was a workaholic in their corporate role and then launches their own business, this commonly becomes the residue we carry into our new business. I did it and I witness this often.
Don’t create the illusion of it’s good or acceptable just because it’s your business. Overworked and exhausted is real.
Need help? Here’s your opportunity to talk to someone who knows right where you’re at and improved upon it! Click here: for a no-cost consultation – don’t bring your wallet, I’m not selling anything.
Feel free to write in the comments section any questions you have or share what is keeping you overworked and/or what you’ve done to overcome this….
THANKS FOR ALLOWING US TO HELP YOU IMPROVE YOUR BUSINESS!
Brilliant Breakthroughs, Inc. helps Small Business Owners
Simplify Strategies & Align Actions
to further Profitability, Peace, & Potential
Call Maggie (262) 716.7750 for YOUR No-cost Consultation
Blessings of Success to YOU ~
Maggie Mongan, Brilliant CEO & Small Business Coach & Strategist
Brilliant Breakthroughs, Inc.
Direct Dial: 262-716-7750
Copyright owned by Brilliant Breakthroughs, Inc. The internet is about sharing. Please share this post in its entirety with full attribution to www.BrilliantBreakthroughs.com.
About the Author
Rev. Maggie Mongan, Founder of Brilliant Breakthroughs, Inc., is a tenured Master Business Coach & Small Business Success Influencer