Preparing for Success is Today’s Business Strategy
Business Rescue Coach Maggie asks you:
Do you take time to prepare for success?
Do you notice how others look when they come unprepared?
Are you appropriately supporting yourself to be successful?
YOUR Business Strategy today is to stop for 5-10 minutes and review your calendar to see if you are preparing for success effectively? Do you see time on your calendar for prep time?
Last week we discussed that planning and preparation are two different actions. Typically, planning being the mental exercise to gain clarity of what needs to be done. Preparing could be mental but most often it involves taking action to gather all necessary things.
Why are we discussing this?
Preparing for Success is a Business Strategy
Let’s see if you are a good strategist 🙂 Last week I shared the statement below with you and we will continue learning more about this truth. Now, we just shift our awareness to the second step – preparing for success.
Planning before preparation,
before performance, before success
As we most often do here, I will over-simplify. I have found preparing for success most successful when done in 3 phases. It helps me clear my head and I am not rushing last minute to have everything completed before performance time.
3 Phases of Preparing for Success
- Once the project is known: make a timeline of which actions need to be completed, the necessary resources, and whatever else you know as critical for this project’s success – ALL PRIOR to the project’s completion date.
- Make an appointment with yourself to coordinate: (1) timelines and (2) all necessary resources (people, places, things, finances) to take appropriate action PRIOR to the project’s completion date. TIP: Set the date for all the coordination activities to be completed earlier than you need them completed in case there are last minute hiccups.
- 2-3 days prior to the performance: make another appointment with yourself (and/or team) to assure you have been preparing for success effectively. Identify any gaps still needing attention and tend to them immediately (this may include additional resources or practicing the performance to assure your success).
YOUR Brilliant Business Success Action Items for Preparing for Success
- Pick on a project you must complete and follow the 3 Phases of Preparing for Success. Then repeat with other projects.
- Click on the planning and preparations links in the 2nd paragraph for some further assistance.
NOTE: Very quickly you will see how preparing for success is actually quite practical and tactical and helps you get a myriad of things out of your head and into a process to assure you show up in a good way 🙂
*Remember: A little practice goes a long way! Practice this with a new or big project you are involved with. Practice the 3 phases of preparing for success and evaluate how successful the project is progressing. I imagine you will find there isn’t as much chaos and timelines are being met 🙂 … And as always, have some fun playing with this!
Are you ready to step into Preparing for Success? Do you think you can handle all this success coming at you? Why don’t you share which one of the phases will help you the most… Feel free to “Leave a Reply & Comment” so we can all help each other build Brilliant Businesses 🙂
It can be all different this year…
if you plan to deliver different results in 2013!
If you or your business needs rescuing on this particular topic
or any other Business Strategies we have been discussing,
please reach out to Maggie (262) 716.7750 FYI: I’m in the Central Time Zone